The amount of time it takes to replace a window depends on several factors, including the type of window being installed, the size of the window, the condition of the existing window frame, and the complexity of the installation process. In general, window replacement takes anywhere from a few hours to a full day or more
Time Frame for Window Replacement
The time frame (pun intended) for replacing a window is determined by how long each step takes. If you’re replacing a window, here’s what to expect:
|Step in Window Replacement Process
|Measuring and Ordering the New Window
|Few days to a few weeks
|Removing the Old Window
|30 minutes to 1 hour
|Preparing the Window Opening
|1 hour to several hours
Installing the New Window
|Sealing and Finishing
|1 hour to several hours
|Total Time for Window Replacement
|Few hours to a full day or more
What happens during each step?
- Measuring and ordering the new window: This step typically takes a few days to a few weeks, depending on the type of window and the availability of the manufacturer.
- Removing the old window: Removing an existing window usually takes 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the condition of the window frame and any complications that may arise during removal.
- Preparing the window opening: Preparing the opening to receive the new window takes anywhere from an hour to several hours, depending on the condition of the existing frame and any necessary modifications.
- Installing the new window: The installation process itself typically takes a few hours, although this depends on the type of window and the complexity of the installation process.
- Sealing and finishing: After the new window is installed, the contractor will typically apply sealant around the edges of the window and finish any necessary trim work. This process can take anywhere from an hour to several hours.
Window Replacement Time By Window Type
The following is a general time estimate for a single window installation after the necessary prep has taken place. Times vary based on your home, how many windows are being replaced and the difficulty of the installation.
|Difficulty of Installation
|Approximate Installation Time
|Easy to moderate
|Bay or Bow
Time Frame for Full Window Replacement
The time it takes to have all the windows in your home replaced depends on the size of your home, the number of windows you have and the type of windows you are installing. As a general rule of thumb, expect the installation of new windows to take anywhere from a few days to a week or more. The exact timeline will depend on the size and complexity of the project. Keep in mind some windows require longer lead times than others.
Contact Infinity Exteriors for specific information regarding the time frame for your window installation or replacement!